Hey, if you were told that we’d be featuring the subject of one of the top viral videos of 2017, you might think that this episode featured a cat or one of the Kardashians. You would be wrong. Winding up an incredible season that had just come to a screeching halt with a Super Regional beat down at the hands of Florida State, Sam Houston State head baseball coach, Matt Deggs, bares his soul to the assembled media and, subsequently, tens of millions of video viewers. You see, Coach Deggs had much to be thankful for and although he thought his ultimate platform was to be Omaha, it turns out that this is where he would share his message. A message that obviously hit home with coaches, players, parents, and the public at large.
In this episode, Coach Deggs talks about the city of Huntsville, Texas, growing up in Galveston, playing Alvin Community College, playing at Northwood University (“Second Chance U”), getting his coaching start at Northwestern State, taking on the head coaching position at Texarkana, moving into SEC coaching at Arkansas, taking the top assistant coach spot at Texas A&M with friend Rob Childress, losing his position at Texas A&M, being out of baseball for more than a year, being humbled, getting a second chance with Tony Robichaux at Louisiana Lafayette, landing the head coaching position at Sam Houston State, lessons learned along the way, and his new book.
Please check out the new book and other offerings at CoachDeggs.com.
- “With God, all things are possible.”
- “I was a living, walking, breathing testimony to God’s grace, love, and redemption.”
- (Speaking of his time at Texarkana College) “It’s a great place for a young coach to learn to do a little bit of everything.”
- “My mission is to develop men.”
- “If you’re not open and honest then you don’t have a testimony.”
- “I’m a big believer in second chances.”
- “When you get knocked down, get back up, learn from it, forget about it, become a better man.”
- “It’s not always about the final destination. The joy is in the journey.”
- “If you roll up your sleeves and work hard enough, you can win anywhere you’re at.”
photo credit: CoachDeggs.com
Intro Music: Matt’s Blues, Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License