Oh how we love Louisiana on Top Coach Podcast! These coaches never disappoint. We’ve got another fine example for you today in this episode as we talk to Marty Luquet. He’s retired from high school ball now, but made his name in and around New Orleans with several high schools — most notably the most recent, Destrehan High School, just north of the New Orleans area.
In this episode, Coach Luquet discusses starting in the inner city in New Orleans, his work as a Special Education teacher, working with the media, playing for Ron Maestri at New Orleans, his very early days as an umpire, the class structure in Louisiana high school baseball, differences between 30 years ago and today, the impact of travel ball on current players and scholasitc baseball, fundraising, delegation, and his current summer pastime – Legion baseball.
Check out this list of his teammates at the University of New Orleans:
- Randy Bush, fomer Minnesota Twins player, current Chicago Cubs’ exec
- Brian Schnitker, Atlanta Braves and Macon (IL) High School (One Shot at Forever – episode 270)
- Mike Quaddy, Current Minnesota Twins MiLB coach, former Chicago Cubs coach
- Tim Jamieson, former University of Missouri (former guest – episode 131)
- Paul Mainieri, LSU (former guest – episode 12)
- “Ron Maestri taught me baseball. “Rag” Sherman taught me coaching.”
- “Baseball takes care of itself. We try to teach them the work ehtic.”
- “Find guys you trust. Let them teach your kids.”
- “Games are fun, but the practices have to be fun.”
Follow Marty Luquet on Twitter.
Coach Luquet mention the coach who had a stroke during a game. Here’s an article from NOLA.com on Coach Greg Bittistella, If you’d like to help out Coach Battistella, you can donate here:
Greg Battistella Fund
2250 Gause Blvd. East
Slidell, La 70461
photo credit: Marty Luquet
Intro Music: Matt’s Blues, Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Android | RSS
Be the first to comment